Sunday, July 27, 2008

Bicycle Project Progress

Here are some pictures of the Eagle Glider's ongoing transformation. This is the bike I have been riding for about 3 years and found one day as we were driving through Helena. This week, I made some wooden fenders and ordered some great cork grips from Rivendell Bicycle Works. They are probably my new favorite bike site with great commentary on pretty much everything.


The original state of the Glider six speed.


I created this pvc - garden hose - tea kettle steam bending setup when Sara was at work and steamed up my wood for my fenders. It was a pretty stealth operation; her having no idea what went on in our kitchen. Then she saw the picture and said, "well at least you cleaned up really well."


When it got nice and flexible, I bent it around my newly crafted form and clamped it for a couple hours.

Here are both the oiled fenders, sittin out in the sun getting nice and dark.


I was so excited to get them on the bike that I couldn't really wait but they got a little color even just from one afternoon sitting outside. They are made of cherry and I think they came out nicely.


Here is an image of one of the cork grips with a coat of laquer on it.


And the rear fender.

Here we are, the whole banana. I am still waiting for my new rims to come in as well as my seat post. I am moving to a single speed with a coaster break and I am just gitty to get riding. More to come soon...

No comments: